Today a blender is one of the most essential and indispensable items that you can have in your kitchen. They are found in almost every home and have good prominence in commercial kitchens too. A blender is used to liquefy or puree and emulsify certain foods, crush ice, or alternatively it is used to mix dry ingredients together.
Blenders can be broadly divided into two types. They can either be countertop blenders or immersion blenders. Countertop blenders have either glass, plastic or stainless steel container whose volume is approximately between 1-2 liters. These blenders have different speed settings that you can adjust according to your requirements. In some blenders, the blades are fixed, whereas other countertop blenders will allow you to remove the blades. Immersion blenders, also known as stick blenders, on the other hand, are hand-held gadgets that do not have a container, but rather have a head with attached rotating blades and can be immersed into any container for mixing purposes. These blenders are generally less used than countertop blenders.
Countertop blenders come in various brands and models and choosing the correct one for your kitchen can be quite a challenging task. Before deciding to buy any particular blender, it is always better to know something about the product and the brand and then make an educated decision about the same. Two of the best brands in the market today are the Blendtec and Vitamix. Both are high powered blenders and individually great products with similar controls and features. Let’s take a look at a comparative study between the Blendtec vs Vitamix.
Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender
This blender is one of the latest models in the series and it has several improvements and additions over the older ones. It has very easy blending cycles which enables you to achieve various textures according to your choice. Some of the important features of this blender are listed below:
- While using the blender you can easily control the blending options at any given time by using the one-touch buttons. It also comes with 6 pre-programmed blending cycles, a 10-speed manual control system and the pulse option. This blender has a very modern look and approach and it is great if you are techno-savvy.
- It has a four-sided jar which has a total volume of 75 ounces and a blending capacity of 32 ounces. This blender can be used for wet as well as dry items and is great for blending any beverage for 3 to 4 people on an average.
- The patented blade that is used in this model has a great advantage over blades in other blenders because it is made 80% thicker than the average blade. Made of stainless steel, it is strong and durable, rust-resistant and corrosion-free. The blade has wings that help in blending the contents in your blender to a smooth mixture.
- This blender is made and assembled in the USA and it comes with an 8-year warranty.
The Blendtec blender has become a prominent brand in the market because of its unique features. Some of the pros of this blender are:
- It has a specialized and advanced technology system that creates a vortex. This ensures that during the blending process, the food is pulled towards the center and onto the blades, unlike other blenders that push the food to the outside. The vortex system is not only advantageous for blending but it also makes the job of cleaning the jar much easier after use.
- This blender comes with a heating system. This is an amazing feature because this dual system allows you to blend your food and also heat it at the same time, especially when you are making items like soups. This saves on a lot of time and energy while preparing your meals.
- Not only does the blender have a heating system but it also a cooling feature that can be used for making ice-creams, shakes, and smoothies.
- The pre-programmed, self-cleaning mechanism makes cleaning the blender after use much easier because all it requires is a little soap and water and the jar will be clean in under a minute. The same jar can be used for a variety of dishes including drinks, desserts, main courses, and appetizers.
- This Blendtec blender also has an illuminated LCD display with a timer to indicate the total amount of time and remaining time during the blending process.
While this Blendtec blender is awesome, just like every other product, this one too has some cons such as:
- The manual is a little complicated and does not help very much, especially if you are a first-time user.
- The blender is very powerful and fast so it makes it difficult for chopping certain foods.
- Some users who are used to the traditional blenders may get confused with the number of controls and options.
- The cost of this blender is a bit on the high side, so it may not be a feasible option for too many people.
Read our detailed review on Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender
Vitamix 5200 Blender Professional Grade
The Vitamix 5200 is one of the best blenders that you can opt for. It comes with several user-friendly options that significantly reduce the amount of time you will spend in the kitchen. The highlights of this model are:
- In the package, you will get a number of items including a step-by-step guide to help you get started, a DVD that is very easy to follow, the motor base and a jar with the volume of 64 ounces.
- It is powered at 11.5 Amps, has a voltage of 120 V and a frequency of 50/60 Hz.
- This Vitamix blender comes with a variable speed control option. With the help of this, you can easily control the speed according to your needs in order to obtain different textures of food. All you need to do is point the dial in a specific direction!
- The 64-ounce container makes it ideal for blending food items in medium as well as large batches.
- It has a special radial cooling fan along with a thermal protection feature which does not allow the unit to get over-heated.
- Vitamix blender’s blades are made using stainless steel that is aircraft-grade quality. This hardened stainless steel is very durable and long-lasting and no matter how much you use the blender you will always get the same amazing results.
- The blades in the jar are designed in such a way that it causes enough friction to heat the food even if it is cold. For instance, you can use this option to heat soup. This process does not take long and your job will be done in under 6 minutes.
- This blender comes with a 7-year warranty period.
Let’s take a look at the pros of the Vitamix 5200:
- The ten different speed setting feature is great as you can easily optimize the texture of the food that you need according to the dish that you are preparing.
- The tamper helps to push all the food towards the blades instead of outwards.
- This blender comes with a self-cleaning mechanism and you can get a clean blender in 30 to 60 seconds, just by adding a bit of soap and warm water.
- The blender jar has a spouted mouth. This makes it very easy and convenient for pouring liquids without spilling.
- It has a very long cord measuring up to 6 feet. This allows you to place the blender wherever you want in your kitchen and on any counter. You can also wrap the cord when not in use.
Some of the cons of the Vitamix blender are:
- This blender is 20.5 inches in height, thus making it difficult to store in a standard size kitchen cabinet.
- It does not come with any settings that are pre-programmed.
- The blender can be a bit noisy to use.
- The jar has ridges and is not smooth, thus making it a bit difficult to scrape thick pastes out of it.
Read our detailed review on Vitamix 5200 Professional Grade Blender
Can the Blendtec be used as a food processor?
The Blendtec blender comes with a pulse option. This allows you to control your blend and gives you the option of chopping. This blender claims that it can replace many other appliances that you would otherwise need in your kitchen. One of these items is a food processor.
How can the life of a jar be maximized?
You can take care of your blender and jar by cleaning the jar as soon as you finish using it either with the help of the self-clean option which is present in both the Blendtec and Vitamix models mentioned above, or you can clean it by hand-washing it. It is not good to leave the jar soaking in the liquid overnight.
How to prevent overheating of the blender?
To prevent overheating of your blender even if it is the best blender, Blendtec or Vitamix, you should always ensure that you do not allow the blender to get overheated by over-using it. Always take into consideration the maintenance steps and avoid blending thick ingredients for a prolonged time period. When the blender is in use always make sure that there is sufficient free space of at least 12 inches all around the blender.
Customer reviews suggest that the Blendtec is a great choice when it comes to kitchen blenders. The average lifespan of the blender is about 10 years, with everyday use. It can be stored easily in overhead kitchen cabinets and is very easy to clean. This blender has good value for money and is durable and long-lasting. It is surely an item of convenience in your kitchen and cuts down on your cooking time. Many people have claimed that this blender is loud and noisy, but it is actually as noisy as any other kitchen blender of any other brand that you may have.
Blendtec vs Vitamix reviews suggests that the Vitamix is absolutely great for smoothies and juices, so if you and your family love smoothies, or you need to make baby food, this is the blender to opt for. It is also good for making thin pastes, purees, and soups. Though a major disadvantage is storing the blender because of its height, this is not really a major problem. If you are keen to use this blender every day, you can just keep it on one of your kitchen countertops.
When it comes to choosing between the Blendtec vs Vitamix blender, you should know that both these blenders are high-end equipment for your kitchen. Whichever one you choose to buy; you will not regret your purchase of either. They are both values for money, are long-lasting and have long warranty periods. They are both priced within the same range and have similar features. The Vitamix is simply great for blending smoothies and it has more variation and flexibility while offering a traditional look and feel. On the other hand, the Blendtec is more powerful and has a modern touch-screen feature. After knowing about the different features of each blender, including the pros and cons, you can now make your purchase knowing that your decision will be a knowledgeable one!